EMF Sources: Understanding Electric and Magnetic Fields (EMF)
The Electromagnetic Spectrum (EM) is energy that travels and spreads out as it goes, covering the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation (EMR). Visible light that comes from a lamp in a house and radio waves that come from a radio station are two types. Other examples of EM radiation are microwaves, infrared and ultraviolet light, X-rays and gamma-rays.
Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
The following table gives approximate wavelengths, frequencies, and energies for selected regions of the
|Spectrum of Electromagnetic Radiation|
|Radio||> 109||> 10||< 3 x 109||< 10-5|
|Microwave||109 - 106||10 - 0.01||3 x 109 - 3 x 1012||10-5 - 0.01|
|Infrared||106 - 7000||0.01 - 7 x 10-5||3 x 1012 - 4.3 x 1014||0.01 - 2|
|Visible||7000 - 4000||7 x 10-5 - 4 x 10-5||4.3 x 1014 - 7.5 x 1014||2 - 3|
|Ultraviolet||4000 - 10||4 x 10-5 - 10-7||7.5 x 1014 - 3 x 1017||3 - 103|
|X-Rays||10 - 0.1||10-7 - 10-9||3 x 1017 - 3 x 1019||103 - 105|
|Gamma Rays||< 0.1||< 10-9||> 3 x 1019||> 105|
Here is a list of common EMF Sources found in Today's Homes:
AC Magnetic Field Exposure Points
- All power lines (especially high voltage power lines)
- Electrical transformers (both large and small)
- Plumbing Current (entering your home through your ground to the city water
- Net Current (wiring problems)
- Faulty electrical wiring and grounding
- Outdated Knob and Tube wiring
- High current appliances such as hair dryers, stoves, space heaters and ovens
- Microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, old cathode ray tube (CRT) computer
monitors and televisions, electric toothbrushes, electric shavers and TVs
AC Electric Field Exposure Points
- Electrical wiring and power cords
- Fluorescent/Compact Fluorescent
- Poorly grounded electrical system
- Bedside AC lamps, clocks and electrical cords
- Laptop computers
Devices that contribute to 'Dirty Electricity'
- Fluorescent/Compact Fluorescent / 12-Volt halogen lighting
- Dimmer switches
- Television sets
- Microwave ovens
- Most Treadmills and furnaces that have variable speed motors
- Some UV filters and ionizers
- Anything with a motor
- Nearby neighbours' activities can be a huge influence
'Dirty Electricity' is measured in Graham-Stetzer Units (GSU). Our electrical power supply has become increasing contaminated with invisible microsurges of dangerous electric field radiation called "dirty" electricity. Dirty electricity has become a steadily growing problem in recent years due to our increased use of energy efficient CFL bulbs, dimmer switches, modern low-voltage lighting, electronic devices and computers that produce high frequency electrical feedback.
Radio Frequency (RF) / Microwave Sources
- Wireless Networks and wireless security systems
- DECT (digital) cordless phones, and baby monitors
- Cellular phones and PDAs
- Cell towers and microwave transmitters
- Gaming systems
- Home automation systems
- Nearby neighbours wireless activities
- Radar and radio station transmitters
Radio Frequency Microwave Radiation fields are measured in microwatts per square centimetre (µWatt/cm2). If a current flowing through the wire is made to oscillate at a very rapid rate (3 KHz or greater), the floating electromagnetic field will break free and be launched into space. At the speed of light, the energy will radiate outward in a pulsating pattern, much like the waves in the pond. Mankind has harnessed much of the radio spectrum for communication purposes such as Wi-Fi, cell phone, radio, satellite TV and radar.
Cell Towers Radiofrequency RF Microwave Radiation and Related Problems
Compilation of sources related to cell tower RF microwave radiation problems.
Best quote? It's from a cell tower worker, "It's like being cooked. It's like laying on the beach for too long; that feeling that your eyes are dried out, your ears ring. If you got metal fillings you can actually taste the RF. It tastes metallic."
©2011 EMF Solutions for attributal material..
Educational and Informational Purposes: All
information on this site and all links that are linked to from
DianneEMF.com represent solely the opinions of their producers.
This information and links to more information are made available to you as a resource for your own research and evaluation not as an endorsement.
DianneEMF.com is not in the business of persuading you or anyone else to believe anything that that is presented and/or linked to from this site; however, it does encourage you to use all available resources to form your own judgement about very important things that affect your life.
Dianne Knight is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and amazon.ca.