Tips to Protect You and Your Family from EMF Exposure
edited by Dianne Knight, B.A.
We are all exposed to harmful EMFs in our homes and you can reduce your exposure greatly. Here's some points to implement:
Electromagnetic field (EMF) exposure is linked to many medical conditions, both acute and chronic illnesses, and electrical sensitivities are a serious emerging public health concern in which most doctors have little or no training. Everyday we are exposed to EMFs from a number of common sources that can be found where we live, work and play. Our sleeping quarters especially, need to be a clean environment. Here are some common-sense tips to help you lessen, or best practice, avoid exposure:
The Office and Computing Area
- Use a desk-top computer. If possible, avoid working on a laptop computer and never put a laptop on your lap, especially when it's plugged in.
Many laptop computers produce a strong EMF, especially when plugged into an electrical outlet, as they are charging a battery in close proximity to where you rest your hands. You can avoid working directly on a laptop computer by plugging in a secondary wired keyboard and wired mouse to help lessen your exposure; (this is especially helpful if you are working on it for extended periods of time). Laptops that do not have ground-wires (third prong) are a particular health hazard as you become the tether to ground.
- When replacing your computer monitor (or TV) buy a new LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)
LCDs emit much less radiation than the old CRT style monitors that use a cathode ray gun to excite the prosperous on the screen.
- Clean up the electrical power cords and transformers around your computer and desk and reroute them away from your feet and seating area.
Transformers and power bars around your feet while
you work on your computer can be a huge EMF exposure point, especially
if you spend a lot of time on your computer.
Reduce the AC Electric Field, Especially In the Bedroom
- Unplug all electrical power cords not in use and limit the use of electrical devices in the bedroom.
Baby Monitors, Cell Phones, Cordless Phones, eReaders and Tablets
- Purchase corded phones and use land lines exclusively.
In 2005, the German Government nixed the DECT cordless
portable phones. The base station of these phones constantly transmits a
strong RF signal, even when the handset is not in use, just sitting idle
in the cradle. If you have one, get rid of it.
DECT technology is also used in most new baby monitors. Do what your grandmother did with your mother; bond with your baby and use mother's intuition. Science is uncovering a wealth of advantages, including possible protection from SIDS, for babies who share their parents' bed.
- Limit the time you spend might talk on others' cordless phones and their cell phones, if at all, and allow children under 18 to use others' wireless phones strictly for only an emergency.It is important to understand that cordless phones use electromagnetic radiation to communicate - just like cell phones - and radiation exposure is cumulative, no matter what the source. Lowering your exposure is always the best precaution.
Wireless Computer Technology
- Use solely hardwired computers with ethernet cables.
Wireless devices have inherent detrimental health effects. Rationale:
- Curtis Bennett: Safety Code 6 Presentation to the Royal Society of Canada.
- Dr Ted Litovitz: Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields (EMF).
- Non-Ionizing Radiation: Identical Health Effects to Radioactive Radiation.
Curtis Bennett: Safety Code 6 Presentation to the Royal Society of Canada
Dr Ted Litovitz: Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields (EMF)
- Buy a Home far away from high current/voltage power lines.
There have been many studies linking magnetic field exposure from power
lines to increased rates of leukemia and other health issues, including
cancer. Buy a Gauss meter and survey your home, or call and book an
EMF Home Inspection.
- Replace all the dimmer switches in your house with regular switches.
Even when turned completely on to full power, a dimmer chops-off part of
the electrical current; then it discards it in the form of a strong
electromagnetic field. Most dimmers create high levels of Dirty
Electricity that can contaminate a home's electrical wiring with
dangerous high-frequency energy.
- Check your home for wiring problems
Wiring problems and plumbing current can cause high magnetic fields and
are quite common, especially in older homes. Buy a Gauss meter and
survey your home, or call us and book an EMF Home Inspection.
- Avoid installing low-voltage (12 volt) halogen, fluorescent tube, or energy-efficient compact fluorescent lighting (CFLs).
The most important thing you can do to avoid ongoing exposure to EMF is to install Graham-Stetzer filters in your home and office to reduce the amount of high frequency radiation known as Dirty Electricity on electrical wiring and electrical devices. In a number of well-conducted scientific tests, many benefited greatly when Graham-Stetzer filters were installed in their homes and schools.
If you or someone in your family is demonstrating symptoms of “Electrical Hypersensitivity” you may mitigate the EMF source. We servwe Canada and the continental USA by Canada Post.
To purchase Graham-Stetzer filters and EMF meters to check your home, school or workplace, please call or send an email.
1. The Independent, Germany warns citizens to avoid using Wi-Fi, September 9, 2007.
2. German Federal Agency For Radiation Protection, Press Release, DECT – The Radiation Source at Home: Cordless Phones radiate unnecessarily, January 3, 2006.
Educational and Informational Purposes: All
information on this site and all links that are linked to from
DianneEMF.com represent solely the opinions of their producers.
This information and links to more information are made available to you as a resource for your own research and evaluation not as an endorsement.
DianneEMF.com is not in the business of persuading you or anyone else to believe anything that that is presented and/or linked to from this site; however, it does encourage you to use all available resources to form your own judgement about very important things that affect your life.
Dianne Knight is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and or amazon.ca.